Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bucket List

I get to travel a lot with my job. It has its ups and downs. The downside is that I'm gone from home alot. And I mean alot. I so far have spent 51 of the 90 days I've been employed in hotels. The good news is I get to see the country for free, and I am racking up killer Holiday-Inn points.


I am currently sitting on a job on an Indian Reservation in North Dakota about an hour south of the Canadian border. Hey, I never thought I would get to see this part of the country and its pretty cool. So far I have came to the following conclusions:




  • There are about 100 people living in ND and SD. Seriously. I think this must be where the FBI sends the winess protection program.

This is what the whole state looks like. There is just nothing out here. Expect for the road and a little barbed-wire fencing to keep the cows out of the road this place is untouched by humans. As you are driving its really not hard to imagine the Souix Indians following buffallo through here. You almost expect to see them crest the hills.

  • The main exports of this state must be hay, sunflower seeds, and horses.
  • Its currently 3 weeks away from snow up here. Its Sept and its 95 today at home.
  • My god ND is a long way up here-30 straight hours of driving, I think any more and the truck would have caught fire. We seriously did not turn it off except to fuel.

We took a 30 minute detour while in SD and got to see Mt. Rushmore. Guess what-it looks exactly like this picture. Seriously, other than to say youve ben here and seen it, you've experienced it. Don't get me wrong-its cool and all and I'm glad I did see it, but there is nothing to do here.


Step 1: Look at the Faces

Step 2: Leave

This is the third cool thing I've had a chance to see on Big Red's dime. I saw Independance Hall and the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia and Carlsbad Cavers in New Mexico.

This started me thinking, what else would I like to see. I had alot of time driving so I cae up with a little bit of a Bucket List.

  1. Watch Alabama win a National Championship in person-CHECK
  2. Graduate College-CHECK
  3. Go to a World Cup-currently planned for 2014 in Brazil
  4. Attend a summer and winter olympic games
  5. Visit Europe (Ireland, England, Normandy France, Italy)
  6. Octoberfest
  7. Go to NY and LA-1/2 there
  8. Visit Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef
  9. Skydive

This list will keep growing I'm sure. Post comments and let me know some other things I should do.

1 comment:

  1. I need to make a bucket list too. But you definitely should add visit Virginia Beach to your to do's.

    ReplyDelete